Friday, November 19, 2010

Holiday Hassles

So, I will begin this post by mentioning that the title of this post has nothing to do with my up-coming trip home for thanksgiving. Let me take a moment to talk about that:

Monday, I am driving up to Provo, UT after my classes and spending the night with my sister. Tuesday morning My sister, her boyfriend, and I are all heading back to the Northwest. I can't even tell you how excited I am. Each minute that goes by feels like an hour!!! I am excited for food and everything, but I am just more excited to see everybody! I have a huge extended family and I will get to see a lot of them, also I will get to see my mom and little sister who I haven't seen in a few months! As my mom always says though, "You are just going to want to be with Eriiiic". Yes ma'am. Yes ma'am, I plan on it.

Here is where the holiday woes come it- Christmas Break. Many of you have probably seen that video and blog post about the man who had problems with the TSA pat-down and full body scanner. And many of you may be saying that this is all stupid and he should have just done it and blah blah blah. But guess what, this is my blog, and I can say what I want!

Full body scanners just use x-ray to be able to see past your clothes to reveal if there are any objects on your body.


woman on left, back and front of a man on right
 As you can see, the shape of the entire body is revealed. I actually blacked out part of the man, as you can see, because it was just really not appropriate. Effectively, the machines serve as a strip search.
So anyways, both Las Vegas and SEATAC airports (which I am flying out of in December) have added the Full-Body Scanner XRay machines. So instead of getting nervous about the fact that in 5 days, I will be with the coolest, best, cutest, nicest guy in the whole world, I am getting nervous about my full body scan! SeaTac had metal dectectors for a short while when the new machines were released, but they had plans to get rid of them soon. Las Vegas seems to have ditched the metal detectors all together (as of 2009). Awesome.

I already hate flying. Let me make that clear. I am hoping that maybe seeing my family will be a big enough deal that I won't worry so much about the flight itself, but really, I hate it. I have even looked into those classes where they teach you how to not be scared of flying, but the idea behind most of them is "submersion", where you just fly extremely often. Silly psychologists, the more I fly, the more I increase my chances of dying.

Now, in addition to pre-flight jitters, I have to keep hitting up the gym so the creepy TSA guy behind the desk doesn't vomit when I go through. AND even more stressful, I have to working my butt off at the gym at the same time I am working my butt off doing finals :(

I do joke about presenting a "good image", but in all seriousness, I have always believed that each person's body is special, and I think its a big deal to trust and love someone enough to share it with them. I do feel a little bit like I am throwing all that away to go on a stupid flight. Thanks government, for making me hate you.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing against the TSA scanners... I've never felt violated by them. Although, I guess I've never seen my image on their screen after I go through. What you don't know doesn't hurt you... But when you know everything (like you do) some things come back to bite you. Ah well, the woes of being omniscient. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and with what the man in the video did and I object to the scan and the "pat-down" for various reasons. The system before worked.
    Without complaint, I have taken off my shoes, emptied my pockets, put liquids in checked bags only. Now, even though all attacks since 9/11 have been stopped, we still have to beef up security to the degree of sexual harassment.

    Also, I read somewhere that the new x-ray scanners are as strong as "the average chest x-ray." I don't know about you but I try to stay healthy so I don't have to get x-rays at all...because they are bad for you. That is why doctors always cover your reproductive organs and other soft flesh with lead.

    I think that if they are worried about protecting people, they should increase the number of air marshals and introduce a little intelligent profiling (especially since the guy in the video was obviously not a terrorist, yet he was randomly chosen for the intensive search).

    Also, they have found that the scanners can store and send images and thousands of images of non-offenders have been found stored in court and government offices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree with you more, Hillary.

    Eric, you are lucky I am not there to punch your face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are having issues with flight attendant and pilots who have complained about the amount of radiation you receive if you walk through these machines day after day. Now the government is saying employees will be able to go through without the scan if they present two special ID's from the gov't and the airline. But that doesn't help the rest of us. The government's goal seems to be to destroy the airline industry and reduce our traveling by making it so invasive that we just give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree Lynnae. Another way to cause the airlines to bust, then they will scoop in and bail them out, thus owning the air travel business. I am sad people just say..it is okay.....since when did we just completely quit caring about our rights? Has anyone wad the fourth amendment lately?

    Sadly, 10 years ago, i was one of those wise guys with my head in the sand. No more.

    ReplyDelete