Wednesday, October 12, 2011

TLC

Thought I needed to give my blog a little tender loving care. It's been far too long since I last posted!

Life is pretty much going on as one would expect. This week I have a lot of midterms so I have been pretty drained as far as that goes. This week I have a test in my Classical Christian Europe class Monday, Wednesday, and Friday! Can you believe that? Yesterday we had to write an essay about Socrates, tomorrow I am writing about Afrocentrism, Black Athena, and Not Out of Africa (all pretty interesting ideas, actually. The Black Athena is an afrocentric research book attempting to prove that all the people of Rome and Egypt were black. Not Out of Africa is a rebuttal to this research). And then on Friday, I have a test about the rise of Rome. Then I also have an exam in my World Civilizations class on Thursday and next week an exam for my American History class. The real problem with studying is that it is NEVER done. There is always something more you can learn, always more chapters to read. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a few solid hours in for my World Civ exam.
Today I was SOOO tired. Last year I seem to remember staying up so late and waking up in the morning without problems. This year I have tried to get in bed at a decent hour, but the time always gets away from me. Even though I was complaining in my head, I woke up and went to my Human Development class about Family Diversity. Today we had to write an essay about why a Native American student wouldn't like writing a paper about the significance of Thanksgiving.

In other news, that teacher is starting to drive me a liiiiittle crazy with some things she says. She really is a wonderful person and has been very helpful when I need help with assignments and stuff, but she talks about equality in a way that I don't quite understand. Now, I will be the first to admit that I am completely naive when it comes to racism. Basically my only experiences with it have been in conversations in college (The first time someone said something it took me a minute to realize they were actually serious. How could these children get this far in life without getting a talking to?!), but anyways, my teacher was leading a class discussion about the Indo-European value of Equality and how European immigrants don't really practice what they preach. OBVIOUSLY there is a rough history there (slavery, Japanese camps, shipping native americans off to boarding schools) but are do we not have equal opportunities today? Are black students denied public schooling? Are Mexicans not allowed to work? Are women forced to stay at home and live as servants to a demanding husband? To the best of my knowledge- No. Where there ARE differences among the opportunities that money provides. Wealthier people can afford more things. When I brought this up in class, one other student suggested that money lends itself to inequality. He didn't seem to happy when I said it was communism to take away money from the rich and give the the poor so all could be "equal"...

World Civ was after that. I just kinda sat there and studied for my test and helped my Chinese friend understand the prompts for the essays. He is having a rough time. It doesn't help that the professor can hardly speak English himself. Me and Zhu can't decide what kind of Asian he is. That's pretty much how we spend our class period.

American history is going very well. It's a great way to end my school day! I feel like I am learning a lot. This teacher is definitely one of my absolute favorites. He does a great job of making class interesting. I find myself scanning a lot of the homework he gives us because it is so great at teaching, I want it for my future class!

Lunch today was a nice salad. That's pretty much the usual for me. I have become a victim of my stress for the past two weeks and kinda trashed my body with junk food to "unwind". FYI- Treating your body bad just makes you feel worse! I am happy to be going back to more "light" foods. Of course, with the occasional treat ;)

Eric and I watched the next Terra Nova today. Honestly, the newest one made me tear up a few times. As Eric will tell you, I am becoming an emotional sap lately. Anything that is just slightly cheesy makes me have to whip a tear away! I think it is the product of- you guessed it- more stress. I really just need to go on a vacation to somewhere next to a pool where I someone will bring me a nice lemonade with one of those little drink umbrellas. I am sure that would fix me.

After that we went to Subway! We don't really eat off campus very much, but we had planned to go on a little date sometime this week. In my mind I just really wanted a sandwich though, so why go to some place that will charge like 10 bucks for a sandwich that I will probably be less content with then the wonderful joys of Subway? It's fun because we got a free cookie after for filling out the survey :)

After you add a quick little trip to the gym, pretty much brings us to this point. This was a long post, so thanks for reading! I won't be in school forever, so I have to savor the chatter about my classes :P

P.S.
As for Pullman, it is just a wonderful place. It is kind of silly, but I just look at everything and think it is so beautiful! I wish I could live here forever! Unfortunately there are no jobs, and little to do if you aren't a student. But *sigh* it is completely lovely!

3 comments:

  1. That subway was for sure the highlight of my day!

    ...and I lol'd at you guys trying to find out what kind of Asian that teacher is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy schedule. That Black Athena idea sounds crazy, but I might just have to check that book out. I think my favorite history commentary that I've read for class was "Guns, Germs and Steel" which is basically about why Europe was able to pull out of the Dark Ages and ahead of everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yea, Black Athena is definitely not accurate. There are a lot of facts that go against his ideas and such. It's almost more of an example of searching to prove a new idea rather than relying on the common beliefs of historians.

    I haven't read the actual Guns Germs and Steel book, but I've seen a few documentaries on it. I just may have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete