Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Why Zesta Crackers Make Me Feel Good.

Alright. So, I will start off by insuring everyone that I am not an emotional eater. If anything I am the opposite. On my most emotional days I hate eating, because I am slightly psychotic like that. However, there is one terrible vice I have acquired since I have been away at college. Zesta. Crackers.

It all started months ago when I was quite ill. I had been suffering from constant headaches for weeks, terrible doctors, stress, fevers, and terrible depression problems that most people didn't really hear about. So in a nut shell, I was miserable. One of my doctors decided a lumbar puncture would be helpful in determining what it was that was wrong with me. I will tell you guys now that it really isn't that bad. People post videos of their patients or family members screaming in pain as the doctor sticks this horrible metal spike into their spine. And this about made me wet my pants. But seriously, if your doc says you need it, do it and don't be scared. It really doesn't hurt one bit. Just feels a little...odd. haha

ANYWAYS. Afterwards I was having a few minor complications, and the nurse gave me Zesta crackers. No joke, eating those crackers was the happiest I had been in months. Everything about them was perfect, and they really hit the spot. Though I look back on this whole series of doctor visits and testing with a lot of sadness, whenever I think of sitting in that weird hospital bed eating those two little crackers, a smile goes across my face.

Just a few weeks after my testing, I was better. It was a long, horrible process, but I felt great after! I really have the most amazing life ever, and I am probably one of the happiest girls you will find in the world. Yet, for some reason, those Zesta crackers really became a big thing for me. Kind of this feeling that, though things aren't exactly as I want them to be, if I can just keep it together for a little bit longer, everything will be okay. Sorta like hope.

I am loving college, and I have amazing roommates, and my classes are going great (STILL have a 4.0 babyyyy). Sometimes I just miss my best friend in the whole world just a little bit though. And that makes me a little sad. I found myself smiling while I ate a few more Zesta crackers today. Just a little bit longer :)

Today, Eric and I got into a little (hour long) debate. I won't post the specifics on here because I think his sister reads my blog (Hey Raine! :D) and I would hate to embarass him :P But guys, I will have to call you or something. I was crackin' up.

I will also add that "ornery" is a difficult word to spell, especially when words that sound like it start with an ho- like "honest" or "honorary". However, instead of guessing, I suggest you just look it up. It can save you from an awkward conversation with a significant other :P

I have been super lazy today. I keep setting some time frame for me to sit down and read a little out of my astronomy book, but that just hasn't happened. I am not sure if I will get around to it this evening, but having it open right next to my laptop allows me to feel studious. I just finished an astronomy assignment today where I had to track the sun's shadow and do a list of responses. I actually worked really hard on this, so I shouldn't say I am lazy, but I sort of have been.

For those who don't know (which is pretty much everyone except Eric), I am having some minor issues. No no no. MINOR issues. As in, issues with my minor! I just did my "four year plan" with my major and found I could easily get out in the spring of 2013 WITHOUT taking summer classes. Which is extreeeeeeemely tempting. This is however, with graduating with a degree ONLY in history eduation, without a minor. As the president of the college of education told me, it would be difficult to find a job as a history teacher. I personally, don't think that is true, but it doesn't stop me from thinking of countless other things I would like to teach as a minor.
-French is a subject I would love to teach, but it has about 2 years worth of prereqs before I can enter into the minor, which means I would be here for four years. And I am not sure that I love french enough to stay here for an extra year just to teach it.
-English I keep falling in and out of love with. I love historical literature and looking at how it applies to a communities thinking or something, but the current english class I am in is SO BORING I can hardly stand to think about words. With this minor I could get out in the spring of 2013.
-The last thing I am considering is, don't be grossed out, okay? Health. Haha. Eric asked me if mormons were even allowed to teach health, and I am pretty sure they are...It has been on my mind a lot lately. Not like the more "adult" part of health, but how to be a healthy individual. I am really interested in nutrition, how different substances affect humans, things like that. Yes, I do realize that I would have to teach a "family life"-esque unit in the health classroom, but I think it would be cool because I could teach it in a way that I found appropriate. Okay. Maybe I am a weirdo, but its all just thoughts. With this minor, I could learn about stuff that interests me and still graduate in 2013. The only con I can really think of is that if my history classroom and health classroom were the same, I couldn't have all those cool posters about what certain drugs do to your body posted around my classroom. Talk about conflict of interest!

I am not entirely sure what graduating in 2013 would mean for my life, but for some reason I just reeeaaallllllyyy want to do it. Hm.

:)

6 comments:

  1. You really could be done early because you are so awesome and all..... but don't rush if it means losing out on something you want to do. It's always good to have a plan though, as long as you allow yourself to change it now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can teach health. If schools need to keep teaching health, then they need good moral people to teach it, I think.
    One of the Hilsmann girls did their student teaching in the dreaded "Human Development" unit in health.

    And I'm glad you have a different memory of that lumbar puncture night than mom and I do - cuz you don't want the one we have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go health teachers. I am sensing a new, mrs. stewart-esque style teacher. She was cool, funny, and conservative.

    You've got it all in spades. I'm off to shave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Stew is totally my role model. Thanks Eric :)

    I win :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to me that the natural pairing with a history teaching degree would be a degree to coach football...

    But I kid.

    French would be cool and it seems like something you would enjoy teaching (and the world needs good French teachers). If it means an extra year (or a study abroad) you should really consider it. You'll still be out faster than the average BYU student.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha....Oh Hillary you crack me up.

    I think that History and English complement each other quite nicely however if you do not enjoy English then by all means don't do that. Not everyone gets to have the job that they love so if you can avoid having a stinky job that you don't like just by taking a years worth of extra classes, go for that. I concur with Hillary; you are still on the fast track to greatness. :)

    As a side note I never knew that you wanted to be a history teacher (I mean honestly where would your inspiration have come from? Mr. Bopp? Mr. Lewis? Mr. Clifford? Mr. Kinnune? lol) but that is great. :)

    ReplyDelete