Wednesday, September 1, 2010

10 Things

10 Things I like about Cedar City:
1) Weather. Yea baby, you want sun? We got it. Snow? It's coming up. Wind? Fo' Sho'. Thunder and lightening? Absolutely. 12 years ago, I remember looking out at the storm with my mom eating Ramen. I have plenty of opportunities to relive that! :)
2) Smith's Grocery Store. It's so folksy here. Everyone is laughing and chatting with everyone. The people who work there know the people who shop there. I feel like I am in the 50s!
3) My roommates. I don't even care if they like Cedar City, these girls can always make me happy <3
4) SUU. Gorgeous campus, friendly staff, great school. The atmosphere is just...good feeling.
5) St. George. Okay, yea, they are different places, But I am loving St. George and I am happy I get to be so close!
6) The Weirdos. There is never a dull moment, thanks to all you awkward utahns out there. Thank you.
7) Mountains. The most gorgeous mountains in the whole world are practically my backyard.
8) The smell. Okay yea, thats weird. But it smells like summer here. Makes me want to swim!
9) The Rain. It's only rained once in the few weeks I have been here, but when it rains, it is hardcore, HUGE drops. I love it.
10) The Gym. Never have I been in a more beautiful workout facility. Breath taking!

10 Things I don't like so much about Cedar City:
1) Eric's not here. What the heck? :P
2) Issaquah. I am not like a big Issaquah person, but it was like the perfect town with every store I liked and needed. I miss my little drives down there.
3) My ward. I know the gospel is the same wherever we go, but we are seriously lacking some priesthood... Amen.
4) The food. For some reason after I eat anything I make, I kinda psych myself out making it seem gross. I always feel a taaadddd nauseous
5) My Car is always stuffy. Yea...in Washington we don't have heat exactly...
6) Lack of adults. I really like to talk to people older than me. Here, almost everyone is a student. No interest there.
7) No puppy to cuddle with. Missy used to always keep my blankets warm and in the middle of the night she would come up by my face and start licking me and try to push me off my pillow. I miss her :(
8) Worrying. I worry my car is in the wrong spot, someone will think the food I cooked smelled weird, I will forget homework, I will have no one to sit with...stuff like that.
9) The post-office. Yea, you know my feelings. But seriously. It should NOT take 4 days for a letter to get here from Pullman. Wazzup with that?
10) Mi Familia. Last but not least, of course :) Sometimes I wake up, and everyone in my dorm is gone. At home there was always someone somewhere!

Do the goods outweigh the bads? Well... Let's just say that the good things help me forget about the bad.

School is going great. I am doing very well in all my classes, and I am very pleased that I am keeping up so well. I am even toying with the idea of adding more credits next semester. Not so much because I want to rush through everything, but because going to classes actually interests me. Can't wait to register for spring!

My education class is by far my favorite right now. I can hardly wait to be done with my astronomy class. I am already a week ahead as far as the syllabus is concerned, and I really hate the fact that I have to spend so much time in a class that has all the information in an AMAZING textbook (seriously, I love that thing!), but oh well. My english class is going pretty well. It's extremely easy, nothing like I had expected, but I am still really interested in the stuff we read and the discussions we have. I think 1.5 hours is a long time to spend in one seat, though. She seems to try to remedy this by making us do a lot of group discussions, which I personally have never been into, but all the *tries to think of a nice word to say* uhh... 'other' kids seem to enjoy them because that means that they just get to sit there and be dumb while the one sap who wants to succeed (yea, thats me) does all the work. My other few classes are mostly online. They are easy enough. I am planning on taking the library test out exam, so if I get a good grade then I will just use that as my ticket out of the class. The one nice thing about the test out is that if you pass, but don't get as good a grade as you wanted, like a B or something, you are allowed to remain enrolled in the class and those points just go to extra credit. That way you can keep your grades up. Nothing to lose there, so I will give it a shot.

Hope everyone is doing well!

6 comments:

  1. excellent bright side Arianne. Good luck with those 'other' kids. I always hate group stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things I like about Cedar City:
    1) Arianne lives there

    Things I don't like about Cedar City:
    1) Arianne lives there

    We miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric: I know. I remember sophmore year in english I was always stuck working with the same kid. Dontcha hate that? :P

    Dad: So sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. That's so nice.
    Hey, when we were at that Smiths the older man who was bagging just smiled at us and said "Hi, where are you from?"
    I wondered how he knew we were from out of town, but I guess if he knows everyone else there, it makes sense.

    I miss you sweetie. Your empty room makes me feel sad.
    Enjoy the great parts of Cedar City, and We'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Smiths too. Often you can get ten Jones sodas for ten dollars...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whaaa? That's awesome. And I thought the deals on toilet paper were great! :P

    ReplyDelete