Saturday, August 14, 2010

I've got a riddle for you!

How do you fit 3 carloads of father proclaimed "crap" into one minivan and one small pontiac?
You don't.
And thus begins my morning.

For the past month or so, I have been slowly packing my life away. Some, in boxes to come to college, and what is decidedly not enough, to stay in storage bins in my closet. Though I try my best to not be attatched to silly materialistic things, it really does make me sad to decide what cannot come with me to college. I think part of that springs from the fact that I try my hardest to be appreciative of what I have. I know there are many people who aren't as blessed as me when it comes to being able to have and buy most things that they want. So in a way, I feel like its ungrateful for me to claim that something isn't worth the trouble and space. So definitely, this is a large factor in my crap-over-crowding.

HOWEVER. I do have an excuse. Last year I bought a LOVELY new car. With hours of my own hard earned Taco Time money, and a lot of help from the parents, I was able to call my 1998 Pontiac Sunfire my own. That included taking the vehicle with me to college. This opened up a whole new world for us! Instead of doing crazy, hectic, last minute dorm shopping like we did for my older sister, we slowly started accumulating everything for my dorm months in advance. Pots, Pans, Bedding, Towels, toothpaste- ANYTHING you can think that I might need, we bought. The fact that we had an extra car made us feel like the sky was the limit. Yet, this is not so. We had room for perhaps 3 or 4 more boxes. Needless to say, we exceeded that amount.

So. Parents, when your children go off to college, don't be afraid of the last minute shopping. Though it seems horrifyingly stressful, this will give you a chance to see your child's room and the amount of space they have for other supplies, and Dad less opportunity to make their daughter cry about not being able to take two sets of hangers...

Students, don't go to college. Leaving everything sucks.

Well, my little puppy Missy is off to PetSmart to stay in the kennel for the week whilst all the family (minus my older sister) help me get settled in at Cedar City. It's really sad because the pup-pup was excited to go on a "Bye Bye" but once she gets there, she will hate it. She will probably just miss everyone a lot. She probably feels like she didn't even get the chance to say goodbye to everyone she wanted. She probably will feel a little trapped. And she will probably just sit there on her little bed and cry for hours.

She probably feels a lot like me.
Goodbye Washington.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, girlie! I would have loved to had sen a pic of that car packed to the hilt. Sounds like a true adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ATTEMPT TWO:

    Arianne, that was the saddest thing I have read since Marley & Me. Though, you are a very good writer. Ah well. I enjoyed not last minute shopping with you. We had fun. And, we got a lot of the same stuff :P

    And, missy will be happy. Dogs look so happy in the pet hotel. I've been in there, they love it. I'm sorry if yours doesn't. Some of the nicest people ever work there though.

    Miss you. Happy you have a webcam. (:

    ReplyDelete