Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why on earth...

Did I never learn to use a post office?

I know what you are thinking. "Doesn't everybody know how to use a post office?"
NO. They. Don't.
Except for the two times I have been inside a post office, and those pictures of a French Post Office in my french textbook, I have never really seen the inside...

Now I do admit, this frustration is mostly because of the fact that on campus we have a mini-USPS that seems to be lacking a lot of things that a regular post office (like the one two blocks from my house) would have. I don't even think they sell stamps there, let alone flat rate shipping packages...

This is probably the most disorganized blog post ever. So, the future english teacher in me is telling me to start at the very beginning.

Being the completely amazing person that I am, I decided this morning I would send a package to a very nice young man currently attending Washington State University. Everything was going well. With all items for said package gathered, I decided all I needed was something to mail the contents in. Not knowing the cruel ways of the post office, I simply bought those package/envelope things with the bubble wrap from walmart for what I though was a very decent price. I go home, address it, seal it shut, then look at the clock. Because the on campus post office closes before I even wake up (4pm :P ) I knew I couldn't ship it there. So I just relax, thinking the only trouble is that I have to wait until monday. However, I started to get curious. Curiosity is always a bad thing, but when it comes to the post office, it just makes it worse. I decide to estimate the price it would cost to send my package and get this amount that quite honestly, is worth much more than the contents inside. Distressed, I called this said young man currently attending WSU. Instead of telling me to suck it up, he tells me something worse. I did something HORRIBLY WRONG! Apparently a REAL post office carries flat-rate shipping packaging that has a low price regardless of weight, and you dont even have to buy the packaging itself. WHHAAA?!

Now, after I weighed my package and everything, I realized sending it actually will only cost $5.10 or less, which is just about the same price as one of those flat rate things ($4.90). So in actuality, life isn't that horrible. But I guess I just really hate not understanding things.

Hopefully that doesn't ruin the evening though. My roommates and I are all really having a great time. Couldn't have asked for better girls in my dorm. Tonight, we are just going to be girly and eat treats, paint nails, and watch the notebook. Fun? I think so :)

And just because I have to get this out: I am totally stressed out about something not college related, which I believe is contributing a lot to my mood.

*headdesk*
Okay. Bye.

3 comments:

  1. I use the post office a lot (paperback swap dot com) but when sending litle gifts usually it costs more to ship then the items are Worth, especially fun little things, so you have to just tell yourself........ you can't put a price on kindness. Then y ou will feel better and keep being kind.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SUCH a good way of looking at it! I will keep that in mind :)

    ReplyDelete